1932 Year of Glory

1932-Year of Glory

The addition of the Kildinan Shamrocks' players was a big boost to the club for the new season with the Collins, Murphys, Johnny Daly, Johnny Dorgan and Mick Thompson proving to be a big addition to minor and junior level. Having contested two East Cork Junior finals in a row, the club looked forward with confidence to the year. Several players attending the Christian Brothers School in Fermoy had also joined the club to play minor hurling. 

The first game of the season was to be a hurling game in Rathcormac v Castletownroche on Sunday Feb. 14th at 3 o'clock, admission 6d. This game was advertised on the Examiner on the Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday prior to the game. Bad weather, however, caused the cancellation of the game and it was postponed until Sunday Feb. 21st and resulted in a good win, 4-4 to 0-1, for Bride Rovers. 

On the following Wednesday night Feb. 24th, the East Cork Committee (the title 'Board' was not used), had a meeting at 7.30 in the Commercial Hotel, Midleton at which the Championship draws for 1932 were made. For Bride Rovers the draws were as follows:-

Junior Hurling Championship v Gortrue,

Junior Football Championship v Whites Cross,

Minor Hurling Championship v Midleton.

Carrigtwohill were defeated by 10-4 to 1-6 in a game at Rathcormac on the first Sunday of March. On St. Patrick's Day Midleton were visitors to Rathcormac for a 'great hurling contest' and this game ended 3-3 to 2-6. There seems to have been a great rush to get the championships started early and on Sunday March 20th Ballymacoda and St. Michael's (Upper Glanmire) clashed in the championship at Rathcormac. 

The following Sunday the Bride Rovers v Gortrue first round game was played in Carrigtwohill at 3.30. Gortrue club has just been formed and had a "weak and unbalanced forward line", but they were "unlucky not to have figured more prominently on the scoring sheet". Bride Rovers won by 2-3 to 1-1 but the press report stated "they must produce a better standard of the code if they wish to go further in the championship". 

Bride Rovers:- Ned Hoskins (capt.), John Healy (goal), Joe Healy, Tom Collins, Dave Hogan, Jimmy Ryan, Dinny O'Leary, Billy Hannan, Ned Daly, Dick Ryan, Patrick Collins, Maurice O'Shea, John Kearney, Tom O'Shea, Ned Barry. 

Gortrue:- T. Gleeson (capt.), D. Coakley (goal), E. Millerick, W. Millerick, T. Coakley, P. Walsh, J. Walsh, M. Aherne, C. Motherway, J. Motherway, B. Mulcahy, P. McSweeney, M. Hyde, D. Meehan, M. Gleeson.

Mr. T. Powell, (Midleton Hurling Club) refereed. 

The Killeagh Tournament final was on the following Sunday and was a 'grudge match' as it was a 'replay' of the 1931 East Cork final against Aghada. This time, however, there was no disputing the result with the seasiders winning by 4-2 to 1-4. In preparation for the football championship a practice game was played against St. Colman's on Sunday April 10th. 

Once again the club was invited to take part in the Munster Feis Cup Hurling Tournament but Sarsfields were winners of the semi final on April 24th by 4-3 to, 1-1. 

On Sunday May 7th a 'double header' at Rathcormac featured a challenge game in football against Midleton and a camogie contest between Sarsfields and St. Itas who were a local camogie team. The result of the football game is not known but the camogie contest was reported in The Cork Examiner on Monday May 8th:- 

Camogie at Rathcormac

At Rathcormac yesterday, before a good attendance, Bride Rovers met Sarsfields in a friendly camogie match. After a hard fought game Bride Rovers won on the score Bride Rovers 2-0 Sarsfields 1-0. 

Bride Rovers:- Misses H. Cotter (capt.) M. Barry (goal), M. O'Brien, R.O'Callaghan, N..Kenny, J. Collins, M. Murphy, S. Hoskins, B. Rice, M. Rice, M. Barry, M. Healy. 

Referee:- Mr. D. Barry, Bride Rovers. 

On Sunday June 5th in a further similar game at Rathcormac the same teams drew 3-0 to 3-0. 

Ballinacurra were to be the second round opponents and 'the village' had made their intentions known that they were determined to reverse the 1931 result. The Bride Rovers team stepped up their training to 3 nights a week and with both minors and juniors training, the activity was hectic. On May 15th Midleton came to Rathcormac for a practice game. The following is The Cork Examiner report on the match: 

Teams representing Bride Rovers and Midleton met in a friendly hurling contest at Rathcormac. The afternoon was beautifully fine, and a fine game was thoroughly enjoyed by a fair gathering. Play was evenly balanced, and during the hour some nice exchanges were witnessed.

Midleton playing with the wind and sun in their favour during the first half, led at the interval by 2 goals to 4 points. On the turn-over Rovers took command and, scoring a goal, obtained the lead. Midleton made strenuous efforts to again regain their lead, but Rovers' back line could not be penetrated, and Rovers again obtained a major, while Midleton replied with two points.

Final score:- Bride Rovers 2 goals 4 points, Midleton 2 goals 2 points. 


Bride Rovers:- Ned Hoskins (Capt.), John Healy (goal), Joe Healy, Dave Hogan, Tom Collins, Bill Murphy, J. O'Brien, Jim Murphy, John Collins, Dick Ryan, Billy Barry, Jack Barry, Dinny Harrington, Maurice O'Shea, Tommy Condon. 

Midleton:- C. Duggan (Capt.), M. Moloney (goal), J. Sweeney, L. Horgan, T Murphy, P. Murphy, T Casey, J. Hegarty, E. Ramsell, D. O'Brien, R. Sweeney, W. Stanton, M.J. Hennessy, T Sweeney, T. Barry. 

Referee:- Mr. M. Mallally, (Redmonds H.C.). 

The D. Harrington on this team was Denis (Dinny) Harrington. Dinny and his brother Danny were natives of Timoleague . They had come to stay with their uncle, Tom O'Brien at Kilshannig in order to go to secondary school at the C.B.S. in Fermoy. Dinny was to play a vital in the 1932 minor campaign. That campaign was started the following Sunday at Lisgoold when Bride Rovers has 2 points to spare over Midleton, 2-1 to 1-2. The game was noteworthy for the fact that the first half was scoreless! 

The following were the teams:-

Bride Rovers:- Dick Ryan (Capt.), Jimmy Ryan, Tom Heskin, BHoskins, Jimmy O'Brien, Jack Barry, Dinny Harrington, Moss Collins, Tom Collins, John Collins, Bill Murphy, Mick Barry, Mick Thompson, Johnny Daly, Johnny Dorgan. 

Midleton:- M. O'Brien (Capt.), T. Sweeney (goal), J. Lee, T. Barry, E. Powell, J. Murphy, J. Crowley, T. Cashman, M.J. Hennessy, J. Sweeney, P. Murphy, P.J. Cambell, J. Daly, J. Meade. 

Referee:- Mr. M.J. McCarthy, Lisgoold H.C. 

On May 27th Redmonds from Cork City brought hurling and football teams to Rathcormac.

Redmonds won the football game, but in hurling Bride Rovers were successful by 7-6 to 2-2. In a second round junior hurling championship game played at Rathcormac on Sunday June 5th Leeside had a narrow win over Sarsfields by 2-0 to 1-0. The game against Ballinacurra was played at Carrigtwohill on June 12th under ideal weather conditions. There was a good crowd present for the game which was "spirited and stubbornly contested!" A goal from Ned Barry and 2 points per Dick Ryan were answered by a goal from Ballinacurra. by J. Lane to leave the Rovers ahead by 1-2 to 1-0 at the break. There was no score for 28 minutes of the second half, "shortly before the end the Rovers raised the flag".

The final score was Bride Rovers 1-3, Ballinacurra 1-0. 

This narrow win qualified the junior team for the championship semi final against Carrigtwohill. This game was fixed for Riverstown on August 14th. In preparation the Rovers played in a "Great Interdivisional hurling challenge at Burkes Cross, Carrigdownane, (Kildorrery) on Wed. June 29th. 

Bride Rovers (East Cork) v Old Castletown (North Cork). 

The match was played in Quinlans field, "close by Charlie Burke's Cross". Old Castletown had competed at Intermediate level from 1926 to 1931 and had regraded to junior for the 1932 season. With Bride Rovers having the reputation of being one of the best teams in East Cork, "great  interest was centred in the contest" which was witnessed by a large crowd. The field was on the grassy side which "militated very much against a high standard of hurling!" It was a closely fought game with each side scoring a goal in the first half. With ten minutes to go the teams were level 3-2 each. "The remaining stages were characterised by strenuous and unavailing efforts on both sides for a deciding score!"

Mr. M. Nagle of Killavullen Hurling Club was referee. 

Next into championship action were the minor hurlers who were now  a well trained and determined combination. The semi final of the minor championship v Leeside was played at Riverstown on Sunday July 10th at 5pm. Just three scores were recorded in this game with Bride Rovers winning by 2-0 to 1-0, thus qualifying for the East Cork final for the second time in the clubs short history. 

Footballers Out

With such a" concentration on hurling in the club, little attention was again given to football. It came as no surprise therefore, that Youghal won the championship tie on July 24th by 3-3 to 1-2. The result was classed as "a relief" by several members who regarded football as somewhat of a nuisance. 

Seven-a-side - But no final

A week before the East Cork semi final a seven-a-side hurling tournament was held. As well as Bride Rovers A and Bride Rovers B, Midleton, Little Island, Killeagh and St. Michaels also took part. 

On a beautiful day a large crowd attended to witness the hurling and the entertainment which was provided by the Thomas Kent Pipe Band, Fermoy. East Cork Chairman, Ben Purcell was the referee for all the games. The first round results were as follows:-  

Midleton 5-0, Little Island 0-1.

            Bride Rovers B 3-0, St. Michaels 0-2.

            Bride Rovers A 3-3, Lisgoold 0-0.

            Killeagh a bye. 

 The second round went as follows:

            Bride Rovers A 1-4, Midleton 1-1.

            Bride Rovers B 2-2, Killeagh 1-0. 

In view of the match on the following Sunday and in case of any 'needle', it was decided not to play off the final. The two Bride Rovers teams were: 

Bride Rovers A Team:- John Healy (goal), Ned Hoskins, Joe Healy, Jim Murphy, John Collins, Dick Ryan, Billy Barry. 

Bride Rovers B Team:- Tom Heskin (goal), Ned Barry, Tom Collins, Bill Murphy, Dave Hogan, Jimmy Ryan, Tom O'Shea. 

Third junior Final in a Row 

By defeating Carrigtwohill in the Junior hurling championship semi final at Midleton on August 14th, the club had got through to the East Cork Junior Hurling Final for the third year in a row. 

The final score of Bride Rovers 6-5 to Carrigtwohill 2-2, didn't look achievable early on as Carrigtwohill led by 0-2 to 0-0. The Rovers then took over, scoring 3-1 but just before the break Carrigtwohill got 2 goals to leave them just 2 points in arrears at the interval 3-1 to 2-2. The second half was very one sided as Carrigtwohill didn't add to their tally while Bride Rovers added 3-4, leaving the final score at;

Bride Rovers 6-5 to Carrigtwohill 2-2. The teams were:- 

Bride Rovers:- Ned Hoskins (Capt.), John Healy (goal), Joe Healy, Dave Hogan, Tom Collins, Bill Murphy, Jimmy Ryan, Patrick Collins, Dick Ryan, John Collins, Billy Barry, Tom O'Shea, Dinny O'Leary, Ned Barry, Maurice O'Shea.

Carrigtwohill:- T. O'Keeffe, H. Carey, M. Cull, P. Kennedy, J. Kennedy, M. Tobin, J. Horgan, J.J. Cotter, O'Keeffe, W. Morey, J. O'Connell, W. Barry, M. Fitzgerald, M. Carroll, W. Leahy.

Referee:- Mr. Ben Purcell (East Cork). 

The club had now qualified for 2 East Cork Hurling Finals in a matter of a few weeks. Dick Ryan was captain of the minor team and also starred on the junior side. Tom Barry N.T., was still club secretary and his brother David John was also very involved with the club especially the minor team. 

Junior Final

The East Cork Junior Hurling Final of 1932 was fixed for Midleton on Sunday August 28th. In his ad. on Friday's Cork Examiner Eamonn Fleming declared: 

Bride Rovers v Leeside - Match of the year 4 pm.

Train leaves Cork 3 pm. Music by Midleton Brass & Reed Band

Don't miss this great clash. 

"We were keener on winning the 1932 Final than any of the others as we were meeting Leeside again," recalled * Billy Barry. It was during the week before the final that Billy wrote the Bride Rovers song. "It was intended mainly as a bit of a morale booster for the players and I did not expect it would last more than the short life of the most of these 'come all ye's', a year or two". Billy had originally put in a verse about Leeside's objection to the Rovers after the 1930 final but this got only one public airing - in Powers Hotel, Midleton after the game. After that this particular verse was excluded. 

The East Cork Final. was played on a lovely afternoon with a huge crowd present. "The teams were played on to the pitch by the Midleton Brass & Reed Band, and when the referee had his men lined up the band played 'Faith of our Fathers', all present standing with heads uncovered". 

Rev. J. Callanan C.C. threw in the sliotar and Leeside per E. Byrne had the first point. "Bill Murphy cleared for Ryan to secure possession and shoot a deadly accurate shot for the equalising point". Tom O'Shea had a good goal for Bride Rovers before J. Bray equalised for Leeside. "Towards the closing stages of this period W. Barry, an outstanding player on the Rovers side, scored two points" leaving the half time score at Bride Rovers 1-3, Leeside 1-2. 

After the break, Dinny O'Leary and Dick Ryan had further Rovers points before Eddy Barry had a goal when he "netted the leather from a difficult angle". A goal from Leeside reduced the defecit but after this "the Rovers kept up the gruelling pace which was beginning to tell on the Leeside men!" The Rovers added on a further 2-1 to win in the end by 4- 6 to 2-3. Bride Rovers were again East Cork Champions. The team which won the 1932 title was:

Ned Hoskins, Bluebell, Captain; John Healy, Rathcormac, (Goal); Dave Hogan, Shanavougha; Tom Collins, Mullintoura; Bill Murphy, Raheen; Jimmy Ryan, Gortroe; Jim Murphy, Raheen; Paddy Collins, Mullintoura; Dick Ryan, Ballinterry; Billy Barry, Mondaniel; Tom O'Shea, Ballyogaha; Dinny O'Leary, Graigue, Glenville; John Collins, Mullintoura; Ned Barry, Rathcormac; Joe Healy, Rathcormac. 

The Leeside team was:- W. Murphy (Capt.), J. Leahy (goal), J. Murphy, D. Flynn, M. O'Keeffe, J. Dillon, M. Coleman, E. Forrest, E. Byrne, L. Cashman, T. Daly, P. Doyle, W. Riordan, J. Flynn, J. Bray 

Referee:- Mr. Ben Purcell, Chairman of the East Cork Divisional Committee.


Club Shop