2008 2nd Round V Ballinhassig

Murphy rescues Rovers in late drama
By Michael Moynihan, Cork SHC
Monday, May 26, 2008

A DRAMATIC conclusion to this Evening Echo County SHC second round in Riverstown yesterday, as a late goal by Cork defender Brian Murphy rescued Bride Rovers from a defeat by Ballinhassig that looked likely, as the scores finished 3-7 to 1-13.

At the final whistle, both teams surrounded referee Diarmuid Kirwan, furious for different reasons: Ballinhassig believed Kirwan blew his whistle in the run-up to Murphy's goal and this interfered with their defensive efforts.

Bride Rovers were convinced they had won the match 3-8 to 1-13, but that was later proved to be a temporary fault with the electronic scoreboard, which had the scoreline wrong for a short time in the second half.

Cork sub ‘keeper Martin Coleman did well at centre-forward for Ballinhassig, but Bride Rovers hung in to force a replay with their best forward, Jerome O'Driscoll, influential.

Elsewhere in the senior championship, Blackrock scorched past Bishopstown, 3-9 to 1-10, on Saturday in Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Nobody could have seen this final scoreline coming at the halfway point at Páirc Uí Chaoimh last Saturday, when the score was 1-3 to 0-4.

However, the Rockies did cut loose in the third quarter. In that time they ran up a game-breaking 2-4, with a solitary point from a shellshocked Bishopstown in reply.

Experience counted, and not for the first time the contributions of John and Alan Browne, Wayne Sherlock, Adrian Coughlan and two-goal hero Fergal Ryan were crucial - the spine of their team dictated the rhythm of the play, and though spirited, Bishopstown lacked that big-game know how.

Elsewhere, in the Cork SHC, Cork IT beat Carrigdhoun 0-25 to 1-11 at Ballygarvan last Saturday. All but one of the 19 students who featured in this second round tie play with Cork clubs, and five are from Carrigdhoun clubs.

The divisional side were nowhere near full strength, with the most significant absentee Cork senior panellist Kevin Canty.

CIT began in ruthless fashion and their half-forward line of Adrian Mannix, Leigh Desmond and Brian Corry impressed, with Mannix ending the game with 12 points.

Carrigdhoun managed one point in the first half but they made some switches and improved after the break, though they never threatened to win.

Timmy McCarthy scored 2-6 as Castlelyons knocked St Catherine's out of the SHC race at Fermoy on Saturday, a game which finished Castlelyons 3-10 to St Catherine's 0-15.

This was a backdoor game, which means the Ballynoe/Conna side must battle for top-flight survival, while Castlelyons - who were in that relegation situation 12 months ago - await the third round draws next week.

McCarthy and his inter-county team mate and centre back Ciarán McGann spearheaded this victory for a hard-working Castlelyons side unlucky not to beat Killeagh in their first outing a couple of weeks back. They have regrouped exceptionally well, and although it was a fortuitous goal from a 45-metre free from McCarthy that set them on their way, they full deserved their win.

In the intermediate football championship Glanmire edged out neighbours Mayfield 0-10 to 0-9, while Glenville and Grenagh played out a draw (0-10 to 1-7).

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Monday, May 26, 2008


Club Shop